A. Sydorenko, PhD Student
Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Kyiv, Ukraine
MILITARY-THEORETICAL ACTIVITY OF GENERAL M. KAPUSTIANSKYI (1920-1930's)
The article deals with the scientific works by Mykola Kapustyansky, one of the most famous and authoritative representatives of the highest officers of the Ukrainian Revolution. He actively participated in the development of statehood and the Armed Forces during the National Liberation Competitions of 1917-1921, collaborated with Hetman Pavlo Skoropadsky and Chief Otaman Symon Petliura, and participated in the military activities of the UNR Army. During the emigration in the 1920s and 1930s, Mykola Kapustyansky actively cooperated with the OUN and also engaged in military scientific activities. He wrote books, lectured, prepared military training courses, and published journals. His theoretical works are a very valuable source. They relate to the period of the Ukrainian Revolution of 1917-1921, the Cossack-Polish Wars and the National Liberation War of Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky, the analysis of the military and political situation in the 1920s and 1930s, and the prospects for the development of the Ukrainian military doctrine. Kapustyansky's works have a deep historical analysis, extensive factual material, assessments of socio-political figures and officers. This article has the following tasks: to find out the basic conceptual foundations of the events of the Ukrainian Revolution of 1917-1921 in the works of Kapustyansky, to tell about the research of general-hohorzhim of the Cossack-Polish armed wars, in particular the Khmelnytsky period, to identify the basic aspects of the military doctrine of M. Kapunsky. For the article the author used as sources of the book Kapustyansky Military Knowledge, Modern War and Our Tasks, Hike of the Ukrainian Armies to Kyiv-Odessa in 1919 and Ukrainian Armed Forces and the Ukrainian National Revolution. Also for historiography the author used the works of Ukrainian historians Mykhailo Kovalchuk, Igor Shandrivsky, Yaroslav Tynchenko. The methods of the study are comparative, descriptive, problem-chronological, and complex-analytical ones.
Key words: Mykola Kapustyansky, military theoretical activity, Ukrainian revolution, Cossacks, military doctrine.
Received by the editorial board: 10.04.2020
1. Kapustіanskіі, M. (1931). Military knowledge. Part I. Paris. [In Ukrainian].
2. Kapustіanskіі, M. Modern war and our tasks. Paris. [In Ukrainian].
3. Kapustіanskіі, M. (1946). Hike of the Ukrainian Army to Kiev-Odessa in 1919. Book One (Parts I and II). Munich. [In Ukrainian].
4. Kapustіanskіі, M. (1946). Hike of the Ukrainian Army to Kiev-Odessa in 1919. Book Two (Part III). Munich. [In Ukrainian].
5. Kapustіanskіі, M. (1936). The Ukrainian Armed Forces and the Ukrainian National Revolution. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan: New Way. [In Ukrainian].
6. Kovalchuk, M. (2006). General Mykola Kapustiansky: (1881-1969). Kyiv: Elena Teliga Publishing House. [In Ukrainian].
7. Tуnchenko, Ya. (2011). Officer Corps of the Army of the Ukrainian People's Republic (1917 – 1921). Book II: Scientific Edition. Kyiv: Tempo. [In Ukrainian].
8. Shandrivskіі, I. (2003). Mykola Kapustуansky's military-political and scientific activities. Unpublished thesis (PhD in History), National University of Lviv Polytechnic. [In Ukrainian].